Stand Confident In Who You Are!



My book of the month is Ugly: The Memoir By Robert Hoge.  This book impacted me on so many levels and left me with so many points that I look forward to sharing with my students this upcoming school year.  When I saw the book on the shelf, during the Scholastic Book Fair, I stopped to pick it up because the word UGLY jumped out at me.  Immediately my mind thought of my students that exhibit signs of low self-esteem so I just knew the book was about that! Has to be, right?  ๐Ÿ‘Ž Wrong!   After reading the back of the book I had so many ideas going through my head.  I thought about how I could use the book to teach students about the importance of having empathy, diversity, and accepting people who are different from them!  

While I read the book I allowed Robert's words to take me on his journey throughout his childhood.  I could feel his pain as he described his experiences.  He mentioned that for every kid who accepted him there were 10 who did not.  As an educator we like to think that we can protect every student but every time I hear of a story similar to Robert's I see that we cannot.  So my question becomes, How can we make sure we are equipping EVERY student with the tools necessary to protect themselves?  Robert shared that he did not want to put the burden on his mother so he internalized what he was enduring at school in an effort to protect her.  This was heartbreaking to read.  As a mother I was saying, "No, sweetheart, parents are supposed to protect you, not the other way around."  The school counselor in me was saying, "I have to make sure my students know how their words and behavior can have an impact on others".  Also, "How can I make sure that students know how to stand up to bullying behaviors?" And, "Who are their support people and do they know how to get in contact with them when they need them?" 

As I concluded the book I saw how it can be used to teach students about acceptance.  I like how Robert's brother was a support for him, giving him insight when he was trying to decide if he was going to go through with the last surgery.  It reinforces the need for students to have a good support system, whether family, friends, counselors, administrators, etc.  



Robert decided to accept himself as he was versus putting himself through a dangerous surgery that could have left him blind.  A surgery that could not guarantee that life would be easier or that he would gain a larger circle of true friends. On that day he stopped sacrificing himself and started accepting and living for himself.  My final take away...it is okay to be different, it is okay to be you!  Our differences make us unique; embrace them and soar.  In the words of Robert Hoge, "We all have scars only we can own". Let's own our scars and live life to the fullest!

What book is on your lap this month?  Share your book in the comments below!  I am always looking for a good book to read.  ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

You can check out the book Ugly at the following link.  

Pictures by Sara Hickman Designs and Pixabay.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Are Worthy: The Importance of Self-Care

Kindness Goes a Long Way!

The Birth of YNot Counseling